Sunday, September 27, 2015

Its hard to tell your mom and dad "I have cancer"

August 28th, 2015 - Preliminary Diagnosis

First shout out to my husband.  No stone will ever be left unturned with this one.  Being a physician, he feels the responsibility of making sure that he knows everything about everything about breast cancer.  And that he contacted all appropriate colleagues in town to be sure I am getting the best care possible.  So, needless to say, I am surrounded by an amazing care team made up of some very wonderful people who are making sure I'm receiving an overabundance of support and guidance through this process.

After the biopsy was removed (thursday), we would have normally waited until the following Tuesday to hear back with results from the lab (Swedish in Seattle).  But Dr. Fields can't wait.  He called first thing Friday morning, while I was sharing the news with my dear friend C, over an early lunch.  I was trying to take it all in, what this meant for me.  I had peace.  I know that I am in His hands.  AND, I'm a fighter.  A good one.  Ask Jack:)

Jack calls me on my cell.  "Hey, baby, where are you? Can I meet you downtown and just see you?"
Okay, first of all, my husband does NOT leave his office during the day.  He works.  Secondly, we don't talk alot during the day.  He's super busy.  Evenings are "our" time.  So, I thought, how sweet of him! It was beautiful outside, still feeling like summertime, hand in hand walking downtown Oly.

What happened next will permanently be posted in my memory.  Jack stopped and held both of my hands on the corner of Legion and Washington. "Baby, I don't know how to say this.  It's cancer."

The rest of the day was a big box of kleenex.  I went back to Jack's office for a breast MRI to see if they could see any cancer cells anywhere else.  The pathology on my biopsy showed that the form of breast cancer I have is high grade and aggressive, therefore, we wanted to see if anything else "popped up" on MRI.  And it was clear, thank you Lord!

Next came the phone calls to my parents and Jack's mom.  At this point I'm not only realizing the gravity of what's happening, but now need to tell my parents that their baby girl has cancer.  That's just stupid.  And unfair.  Once again, like He tells us over and over again, "I will protect you and cover you with my healing love."  The faith that runs this family ABSOLUTELY holds us together.

No comments:

Post a Comment